The First Tee of the East Bay is able to accomplish so much thanks in large part to the time, skills, and generosity of our volunteers. From assisting coaches to administrative help, any skill you have that you can volunteer we’d like to hear about it!
The First Tee of the East Bay believes positive youth development happens through a meaningful, quality relationship between the coach and participant. Therefore, we are always looking for high quality volunteers to serve as mentors and administrative assistants. Volunteers with knowledge and experience in teaching, coaching, mentoring or playing golf are ideal as mentors. Volunteers with office and technical experience are well-suited as administrative assistants.
The First Tee Life Skills Experience
- Students attend weekly sessions after school or on the weekend.
- Lesson plans focus on the Nine Core Values including Respect, Honesty, and Confidence while also integrating healthy habits, physical fitness, and golf skills.
- Students experience improved success at school and at home, and gain skills that benefit them in all facets of life.
Our 8-Week Green Grass Program (offered three times per year)
- Helps youth succeed in school, build their confidence and sense of responsibility, and develop a healthy outlook on life.
- Is accessible to children of all socioeconomic and physical ability levels.
- Offers volunteers the opportunity to be positive role models and make a lasting impact on a young person’s life.
Who Participates in TFTEB?
- Our programs are open to youth living in the East Bay with an emphasis on lower-income and inner-city neighborhoods and schools.
- More than 75% of students receive a scholarship to participate in our Green Grass program.
- Weekly bus transportation is provided for nearly 250 students from over 20 schools.
Our Chapter is 90% volunteer run and our program could not operate without their amazing dedication to making a difference in the lives of our students.
Volunteer Coach Hours
Monday through Thursday 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.*
8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.*
10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.*
12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.*
*Includes set-up, class time, and wrap-up.
Lake Chabot Golf Course
Metropolitan Golf Links
Montclair Golf Course
Mission Hills Golf Course
Skywest Golf Course
The following are the general dates of each season:
- Spring — mid-March to mid-May
- Summer — mid-June to mid-August
- Fall — mid-September to mid-November
2017 Volunteer coach orientation and curriculum Training Date:
February 25th—9:00am-12:30pm at Metropolitan Golf Links.
- Contact Chris Moreno-Hunt at 510.352.2002, or send an inquiry email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete a Volunteer Application.
- In-person interview at 11425 Golf Links Road, Oakland, CA 94605.
- Complete a Background Check at NO personal cost.
- Take The First Tee Child Protection Course; online course detailing policies for child safety and protection.